One of the most important things to remember as a parent, is that children learn from example.
We all want our kids to grow up healthy and fit, and one of the best ways to encourage that is to set a good example. We know it is hard to juggle work, family, and physical activity, so here are some fun ways to help engage your family in a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Plan outdoor activities. Set aside one day a week to do something outside as a family. Go swimming in the summer, biking in the spring, hiking in the fall, or sledding in the winter. If the weather allows, pack a healthy picnic to cap off your fun outdoor excursion.
- Take classes together. Look for family exercise classes, like yoga or aerobics, where everyone can participate together. Try teaching children some of your yoga moves. Or, if your child is too little to take part, push them along in a stroller workout.
- Redo your family room. The family room is often the epicenter of Netflix binges, video games, and snacks. Give your room a makeover with some simple changes. Set a time limit on weekly television or swap your current video game console with a motion console to get you moving. Studies have also shown that if workout gear is visible and within reach, you’re more likely work out in it. Fill a basket with some resistance bands, dumbbells, a jump rope, and a yoga mat; and place it near the TV.
- Make chores fun. Turn chores from drab to fab by making chores into a friendly competition. Race to see how fast everyone can get the house clean, and then try to beat that time the following week. Keep your pets healthy too by walking the dogs together as a family.
- Make over your meal plan. Families that eat healthier, tend to have healthier habits like regular physical activity. Get your entire family involved in grocery shopping. Let the kids pick out their own fruits and vegetables and help out in food preparation. By making mealtime fun, children will be more likely to eat everything on their plate.
Read more at Health.