Garlic is a plant in the onion family, grown for its use in cooking and beneficial effects on health. Allicin – the main health-promoting compound in garlic – appears to help improve blood pressure. Garlic may also help lower cholesterol and fight oxidative damage from free radicals. Try adding garlic into your diet with the following recipe.
Cauliflower Bread Slices w/ Cream Cheese Spread
¼ Leaner | ~1 Green | ½ Healthy Fat | 1 Condiment
- ½ medium head cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp regular cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Preheat oven to 450˚. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Trim the cauliflower into florets, and pulse in a food processor in batches until you get a rice-like consistency. The finely riced cauliflower should make about 1 ½ cups packed.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes, then stir and microwave again for another 2 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower in a fine cheesecloth or thin dishtowel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Combine cauliflower, egg, parmesan cheese, and ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese in bowl.
- Divide cauliflower mixture into 4 equal portions and flatten into “bread slices” on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Carefully flip with a spatula, and bake for another 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine minced garlic and cream cheese in small bowl. Microwave for ten seconds to soften.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly among cauliflower bread slices, and top with remaining mozzarella and jalapeno slices.
- Broil on high for 2-5 minutes, until cheese begins to brown.