Are you having trouble avoiding unhealthy foods during your Maintenance phase? Medifast has you covered with healthy alternatives for this Fourth of July weekend. Here are some delicious red, white and blue favorites you, your family and friends are sure to enjoy.
Pita Sandwiches with Eggplant, Peppers, Tomatoes and Cucumber*
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove, pressed
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons water
Fresh breadcrumbs made from French bread
All purpose flour
1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds), unpeeled, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
6 pita bread rounds
4 plum tomatoes, sliced
1 cucumber, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into strips
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, peppers, basil and garlic in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- For sandwiches: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray 2 heavy large baking sheets with vegetable oil spray.
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar and oregano in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons water in medium bowl to blend. Place breadcrumbs in shallow dish. Place flour in another shallow dish.
- Lightly dust each eggplant slice with flour; dip eggplant into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs, coating completely. Place eggplant slices on prepared baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil mixture. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake until brown on both sides and tender, turning occasionally, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool eggplant on baking sheets. Place 2 or 3 eggplant slices in each pita. Stuff each pita equally with tomatoes, cucumber and red pepper strips.
- Drizzle 1/3 cup sauce over filling in each pita and serve.
Strawberry Spinach Salad*
8 oz. baby spinach
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese
Balsamic & Honey Dressing
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. raw honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, honey, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss the spinach leaves and strawberries with 1/4 cup of dressing.
- Divide the spinach and berries amongst two plates and sprinkle each with 2 tbsp. pecans and 1 tbsp. cheese. Enjoy!
Berry Caprese Bruschetta*
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 small garlic clove, minced (I omitted and used a garlic pepper seasoning blend instead)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 (8-oz.) tub fresh perline “pearl-size” mozzarella cheese balls
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 cups fresh blueberries
- Whisk together white balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, brown sugar, salt, and freshly ground pepper in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil and mozzarella cheese balls; toss to coat. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Stir in strawberries; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with additional thinly sliced fresh basil.
- Serve with toasted French bread baguette slices.
Red and Blue Sugar-free Jello Stars
2 3-ounce packages sugar-free red jello
2 3-ounce packages sugar-free blue jello
- Combine 2 c. boiling water with 2 packages of Blue Jello, stirring until dissolved. Place the dissolved Jello in 9×13 inch pan filling it halfway. Chill in fridge overnight.
- When the Blue Jello has set, Combine 2 c. boiling water with 2 package of Red Jello. Fill the second half of the pan. Return to fridge. Chill overnight or until Red Jello has set.
- Once the Red Jello has set, use a star-shaped cookie cutter to carefully cut stars out of the jello. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
These delicious and easy recipes are sure to bring your Fourth of July celebration happiness and satisfaction. With more information on healthy recipes and benefits, contact Medifast today.
*Indicates that recipe is only for people in Maintenance Phase
Original recipes can be found here:
Pita Sandwiches with Eggplant, Peppers, Tomatoes and Cucumber
Strawberry Spinach Salad
Berry Caprese Bruschetta
Red and Blue Sugar-free Jello Stars