Happy National Lasagna Day!
July 29th is National Lasagna Day, a day dedicated to all of those who love lasagna! But often times, lasagna is packed with unwanted carbohydrates and calories. Whether you’re on your Medifast journey or are looking for a healthy alternative, this recipe is perfect for you! With only 300 calories and over 25g of protein, we’re certain that this dish will be a fan favorite the whole family will love.
1 Lean | 3 Green | 2 Condiments
Yield: 6 servings
½ lb 90-94% lean ground beef
2 cups tomato sauce, divided (recipe below)
1 lb zucchini (about 2 medium to large zucchinis)
¼ tsp salt
1½ cups part-skim ricotta, divided
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
8 oz part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a medium saucepan, brown meat. Carefully drain fat when done, and combine meat with tomato sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Slice zucchini into 1/8-inch thick slices, lightly salt, and set aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg. Stir well.
- In a medium-sized casserole dish, spread one cup of tomato sauce on the bottom and add a single layer of zucchini to cover. Spread ¾ cup of the ricotta cheese mixture on top, and then sprinkle on 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese. Repeat the sequence again, being sure to use all of the ingredients in the process. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes until lasagna is bubbling and top is lightly browned. Cover with foil and continue to bake 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 300 calories | 27g protein | 8g carbohydrate | 17g fat
Italian Tomato Sauce
1 Green | 2 Condiments
Yield: 6, ½ cup servings
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1, 28 oz can whole tomatoes, juice and tomatoes separated
1½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic with the juice from the tomatoes until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, chop tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Add the remaining ingredients, including the tomatoes, into the saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender if desired.
Per Serving: 30 calories | 1g protein | 7g carbohydrate | 0g fat