The month of February is American Heart Month! Show your body some love by including these heart-healthy superfoods in your diet!
- Salmon: Salmon is an excellent source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and reduce inflammation.Tip: Poach salmon in a sauté pan with water, dry white wine, herbs and spices for a delicious meal!
- Kale: In addition to providing heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, Kale contains a significant amount of vitamin C, which has been linked to lowering the risk of heart disease.Tip: Make a raw kale salad. First massage the raw kale with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. Or, for a crunchy, healthy snack, toss kale with olive oil and salt, and bake at 350°F for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Blueberries: Rich in anthocyanins – antioxidants that may decrease blood pressure and help dilate blood vessels.Tip: Add blueberries to your morning bowl of oatmeal or yogurt, blend them up in a green smoothie to add some sweetness, or use them as a salad topper for a pop of color.
- Avocado: Avocados aren’t just for guacamole! They are packed with another heart-healthy fat, monounsaturated oleic acid, which has been shown to lower the risk of stroke and heart disease. It’s also a good source of fiber, which is an important part of a heart-healthy diet.Tip: Use avocado in place of butter or oil in baked goods, or blend them with chocolate for a creamy chocolate pudding.
- Red wine: Red wine is great for more than just drinking! It’s packed with heart-healthy antioxidants, more specifically the antioxidant resveratrol, which is thought to help reduce cholesterol.Tip: Use leftover red wine as a marinade, a cooking liquid, or as a flavoring in a finished dish. A leg of lamb or beef roast calls for a hearty wine, such as a Petite Syrah, whereas a lighter dish might call for a less powerful red, such as a Pinot Noir.
For more tips and tasty lean and green recipes, visit www.MedifastBlog.com.