Happy National Mason Jar Day! Mason jars are my favorite way to store my meals, especially lean and green recipes! To celebrate, I’m sharing my signature Mason Jar Zucchini Lasagna recipe. I hope this brings as much convenience and delight to your week as it does for me!
Mason Jar Zucchini Lasagna
1 Leaner | 3 Green | 1 Healthy Fat | 2 Condiments
Yield: 2 servings (4 mason jars per serving)
Total Time: 45 – 60 minutes
1 medium-sized, unpeeled zucchini, ends removed
1 tsp olive oil
8 oz. 99% lean ground turkey
1 cup no sugar added tomato sauce (such as Rao’s Homemade®)
¼ tsp salt
4 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
1 egg white
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 ˚F.
- Using a mandoline slicer or knife, cut zucchini into 1/8-inch thick rounds.
- Optional: To “sweat” zucchini rounds, place onto a lightly-greased baking sheet and bake until water is released about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, and cook ground turkey until browned and no longer pink. Add sauce and salt, and continue cooking until sauce is reduced about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, egg white, parmesan, and crushed red pepper.
- To assemble mason jar lasagnas, lightly grease eight, four-ounce mason jars. In each mason jar, layer the components in the following order: a spoonful of turkey mixture, three to four zucchini rounds (slightly overlapping), a dollop of ricotta mixture, a sprinkle of mozzarella, another spoonful of turkey mixture, another three to four zucchini rounds (slightly overlapping), and a final sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Place mason jars onto a baking sheet, and bake until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Optional: Broil for a few minutes to crisp the top layer of cheese. Let cool completely before closing the jars with their lids and refrigerating.
Per Serving: 390 calories | 41g protein | 12g carbohydrate | 20g fat