Prep & Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 stuffed turnip
Per serving: 250 calories | 13g fat | 16g carbohydrates | 20g protein
½ Leaner | 3 Green | 1 Condiment | ½ Healthy Fat
- 4 large turnips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 oz low-fat sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz reduced-fat shredded pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Cooking spray
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut off root ends of turnips so they lie flat. Peel, then scoop out insides of turnips to a depth of about two inches. Chop into small pieces and place in a small bowl.
- Boil turnip shells for 10 to 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, sauté the chopped turnips, garlic, and jalapeño in olive oil until tender. Remove from heat. Mix in the cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and seasonings.
- Place whole turnips on a lightly greased baking sheet. Scoop turnip mixture back into turnip shells. Broil for four to five minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chives.
Note: If you prefer a dish with less heat, reduce the jalapeno and/or replace some of the pepper jack cheese with cheddar. Serve it with baked chicken (3 oz cooked) or pork chops (2½ oz cooked) to make it a complete Lean & Green Meal!