It is definitely hot outside! During these hot summer days, many of us spend time at the pool with friends and family. There are several things to remember when getting ready for a day poolside, there’s sunscreen, bathing suits, towels, drinks and most importantly, the snacks. Instead of reaching for the easy chips and soda, we put together some healthy, yet fun, ideas that even the entire family will love.
Anything on a stick is fun and portable. Think kabobs! A few options you can choose from:
- Try cutting sandwiches into small pieces, and layer small pieces of fruits and veggies in between!
- Veggie kabobs are another great option. Try creating your own kabob with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and low-fat cheese. These lower carbohydrate options can help you stick (pun intended) with your healthy eating plan.
- Instead of those sugary packed freeze popsicles, try frozen grape pops! Place grapes on a stick and freeze them overnight for a light, refreshing snack. From their strong antioxidant support to their anti-inflammatory benefits, grapes are a great healthy snack option!
Try these snack options that can make veggies more fun to eat:
- Laughing cow cheese with celery and carrot sticks. The great thing about this snack is you can buy carrots and celery already cut up from the grocery store while the laughing cow cheese comes in convenient wedges and is soft to allow for easy veggie dipping.
- You can even get cauliflower, peppers, and broccoli cut up nowadays at the grocery store! Try pairing these veggies with some plain greek yogurt. This dip is a great alternative than dips that are packed with high saturated fat, sodium, and unwanted calories.
Popcorn is also an easy snack that the entire family can enjoy. Try some Medifast Sea Salt Popcorn to add that extra crunch while snacking with a pre-portioned pack that will help you reach your health goals. Also, try pre-portioned Medifast crunch bars, like the Peanut Butter Crunch Bar. These make a nice treat for any poolside!
Jennifer Christman, RDN, LDN, CPT