It is estimated that 1 in 3 of us who made New Year’s Resolutions drop our pledge by the end of January. The main reasons identified include being too busy or not being committed to the goal in the first place. So, how can you get back on track if you’ve fallen off? Check out these five tips for restarting your resolution.
- Review what didn’t work – Did you vow to go to the gym everyday only to find you didn’t have the time? Did you resolve to eat healthier only to find it was too difficult to resist the junk food in your house? What got in your way and how can you overcome these obstacles?
- Tame self-defeating thoughts – We all have thoughts that fight change, even change that is good for us. We have an inner-voice that says “You don’t have to exercise today, you went yesterday”, “You’ve been good, have a little treat”, or “This is too hard, just give up.” Recognize those thoughts, confront and question them, and then do something that will get you closer to your goal.
- Set more realistic goals – Ask yourself, “On a scale from 1 to 10, how likely is it that I will achieve this goal?” If you answer less than 7, consider changing the goal to something more achievable. Be fearlessly honest in your appraisal. Unrealistic goals and expectations are goal killers.
- Recommit Yourself – Go back to why you thought this goal was important in the first place. What benefits will you receive by achieving this goal? Why is this meaningful and important to you? Dig deep into your values to find these answers.
- Get more support – Look beyond your inner circle for support and encouragement. Can you get professional help from a Registered Dietitian, Personal Trainer, or Professional Counselor? Is there anyone who’s achieved what you want and can you ask them for help? Can you join an online community of like-minded individuals? Get all the help you can!
If you’ve struggled to keep your resolution be sure to have some self-compassion, after all, we’re all humans and will make mistakes. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get back up, dust yourself off, and keep going!