As we near the holiday season, make your health a priority by planning ahead and taking time for yourself. Continue to practice the healthy habits you’ve learned on the Medifast program, such as eating lean and green meals, drinking plenty of water, and watching portion sizes, and consider these 5 tips to help keep you on track.
- Sleep well. The night before (and after) take care of your body and mind by getting 7-9 hours of restful sleep. Disengage from the television, phone, and any other distractions. Dim the lights, rid of any loud noises, put on your favorite pair of pajamas, and enjoy the simplicity of life; perhaps a conversation with a family member or friend, petting your cat or dog, and/or cuddling up in a warm blanket with a good book.
- Eat right. Start your day off with a balanced breakfast, and avoid skipping meals to save calories for later. When you do enjoy your holiday meal, think lean and green. Fill up on lean protein (ex: white turkey meat) and non-starchy vegetables (ex: steamed green beans) using a smaller plate for portion control. Eat your food slowly and mindfully while savoring every bite.
- Be active. Take a morning jog or walk, do a half hour of yoga, or commit to some other form of healthy motion. Perhaps you can volunteer to do some chores around the house (vacuum, sweep, dust) or get the family out for an afternoon game of flag football.
- Sip on a warm beverage. A hot cup of unsweetened tea or coffee is a great way to keep you feeling calm and relaxed. Grab your favorite mug and have a few of your favorite tea bags on hand so you can sip and savor the precious moments with family and friends.
- Clear your mind. If you feel overwhelmed, anxious, or tempted, take a few deep breaths. Close your eyes as you inhale slowly, hold, and then exhale. Do this 3-5 times, or as long as you need to in order to anchor yourself amidst the storm. Try to find perspective in the present moment, and choose a response that aligns with your core values and goals.