Grilled cheese sandwiches are among the top comfort foods in America and for good reason! How can you go wrong with warm, crispy bread and ooey-gooey cheese?! Unfortunately, these qualities that make grilled cheese so comforting and delicious also make it high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates. Luckily, you can easily make a lightened-up version by swapping in a veggie-based “bread” and stuffing it with reduced-fat cheese, like what we did with this Spaghetti Squash Waffle Grilled Cheese recipe!
Spaghetti Squash Waffle Grilled Cheese
Yield: 2 servings
Per serving: 1 lean | 3 green | 3 condiments
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup reduced-fat, shredded pepper jack cheese
- Place cooked spaghetti squash (in two batches) into a cheesecloth or clean, thin dish towel, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine spaghetti squash, eggs, parmesan, and salt, and mix until well-combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high heat. Spread mixture in an even layer in greased waffle iron, and cook until golden brown and set about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle pepper jack cheese onto one-half of spaghetti squash waffle, and fold over other half on top. Close waffle iron gently and continue cooking until cheese is melted to your liking. Serve immediately!