If your honey (or a friend) offers to take you out for a nice meal this Valentine’s Day, you don’t have to break his or her heart OR cheat on your health goals. Keep reading for tips to navigate healthy dining out.
You can be sure that wherever you go, something tasty from the Medifast 5 & 1 Plan’s approved lists are available for you to enjoy. Lean, skinless chicken or grilled fish with salad greens or plain steamed veggies are easy choices. Don’t forget your healthy fat servings if your protein choice entitles you to them. Here are some suggestions:
- If you know where you’re going, look up the menu online before you go, and find the items that are Lean & Green-friendly.
- Politely ask your server to NOT bring bread, chips, or other plan-busters to the table before your meal.
- Ask for what you want: Salad greens with dressing on the side? Broiled fish instead of fried? Steamed broccoli without sauce? Most restaurants are happy to grant your request.
- Eat like a true romantic: slowly and mindfully. Savor your food with every sense.
- Enjoy some sparkling water with your meal instead of soda or alcoholic beverages.
- Set up positive, motivating messages on your cell phone to pop up while you’re dining, or write them down on small slips of paper to hide in your purse or pocket. Some ideas:
- I’m doing this for my kids—and future grandkids.
- No food tastes better than healthy feels.
- My Valentine is so proud of my success.
- I’m one day closer to my goal.
- Don’t forget the chocolate! When you get back to your place, reward yourself with a rich, decadent Medifast Brownie, Chocolate Pudding, or Hot Cocoa before bed.
Remember, Valentine’s Day is about love, and true love starts from within. Taking good care of yourself and honoring your body and your health goals bring joy to you, and to those who care about you. For even more tips, consult Medifast’s Dining Out Guide.